How can I limit my exposure to COVID-19?
“Social distancing”is encouraged during this time to reduce the risk of contracting this novel coronavirus. Limit the amount of people you come in contact with. Spend some quality time with your family and loved ones. Avoid large crowds.
I was tested for COVID-19. What should I do while waiting for the results?
Results usually take about 3 days to return. Please follow the few simple steps belowas you await the results of the COVID-19 coronavirus test:
- Stay home. You should not leave your home except for emergency medical care. Do not return to work, school, or go to other public places. Do not use public transportation or taxis/ride shares to limit potentially spreading the virus.
- Separate yourself from other people in your home. You should stay in a different room from others in your home to protect your family. Try to use a separate bathroom, if available.
- Wear a face mask. Wear a face mask when you are in the same room with other people and when you visit a medical provider. Wearing a mask in this scenario prevents the spread of the virus, if in case you have the virus.
- Avoid sharing household items. Do not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding or other household items with other people in your home.
- Wash your hands. Wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available and if your hands are not visibly dirty. Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw used tissues in a lined trash can, and immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Monitor your symptoms. Symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to lower respiratory symptoms like cough, congestion and shortness of breath. Symptomatic treatment is recommended. Tylenol and fluids, rest and a healthy diet. If you experience moderate to severe shortness of breath, contact doctor immediately.
- What if my test is positive? Most patients who test positive for COVID-19 will experience mild to moderate respiratory symptoms and recover with supportive care and self-quarantine. If your test is positive, you will need to be quarantined for at least 14 days.
In general, enjoy the comfort of your own home if you do not need to be out.